Friday, December 3, 2010

Hysterical for Harry Potter

Well, I think I’ve visited heaven. I mean, if you’re a crazy-obsessed Harry Potter fan (like myself), then I’m guessing being at the NYC Premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One may be your idea of heaven as well. Hopefully…or am I the only one? Anyways, I knew I had to pay a visit to the Alice Tully Hall (two blocks away from the Lincoln Center Campus) when some of my Fordham friends mentioned there was going to be a Harry Potter red-carpet premiere in New York this year. Now, there were HP premieres in the city before, but I was always too young to either spend hours waiting for the stars to turn out, or be in Manhattan so very late at night. But not now. Now I’m 18, a college student…things change. And, seriously, I left at like 9 p.m…not that bad at all! So, there I was, waiting and waiting for hours amongst other HP fanatics, who I befriended because we all shared that one HUGE common interest. I met about 13 new people, and caught up with some Fordham classmates. It almost neared 6 p.m. and we were all going crazy at the thought of seeing Harry, Ron, Hermione and company right before our eyes! It was a dream come true! Tom Felton (aka Draco Malfoy) was the first to turn up, and he happened to be the only one who was on time. Everyone was screaming, I mean EVERYONE. We all see the crazy fan girls on T.V., right? But it was NOTHING like live in person. Even I, someone who is normally quiet, screamed and screamed until I thought my voice was going to quit on me…and I still kept screaming! The screams weren’t even annoying as I’d imagine it would be. In fact, when you heard a group screaming in the distance, you knew that meant a star had arrived. I must say, I was a bit disappointed in the trio (Dan Radcliffe -Harry Potter, Emma Watson - Hermione Granger, Rupert Grint - Ron Weasley). Rupert only did a bit of signing for the fans, Emma went straight from her SUV to the press and skipped the fans altogether, and I can’t even remember what Dan did…but I wasn’t keen of it. For goodness sake, Ralph Fiennes, who plays Voldemort, autographed fans’ items more than the trio did. But they all looked lovely. Later on, Emma and Rupert did come back out though, and took pictures with fans who stuck around until the movie premiere was over. I blame the event planners for the Emma, Daniel, and Rupert not standing around signing autographs when they first arrived. Why? The event planners didn’t obtain a permit to shut down the street, meaning the stars would’ve had to dodge cars and NYC traffic to get to where we were standing. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret going at all. I absolutely loved every minute of it. I met new people, saw the HP cast, Melissa Joan Hart (Sabrina the Teenage Witch), Joey Fatone (NYSNC), Rob Thomas, Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex and the City), Gabourey Sidibe (Precious), etc. I even got Tom Felton’s autograph!!!!! Definitely, DEFINITELY one of the best days of my life. Hope everyone enjoyed the movie!


Tom Felton - soo close!
Draco Malfoy's my favorite Slytherin.
He has lovely handwriting...

NYC traffic trying to get in our way!

For Ronald Weasley and all the red-heads out there!

From left to right: Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort), Dan Radcliffe (Harry), Emma Watson (Hermione), Rupert Grint (Ron), and Tom Felton (Draco).

No comments:

Post a Comment