Monday, November 29, 2010

The NYC Trifecta: Sports, Food, and Culture

Don’t get me wrong, I’m beyond excited to study abroad in London in the spring, but after the semester I’ve had, I cannot imagine living anywhere except New York for any period of time. I have two more years to enjoy the city, so hopefully I’ll survive a few months away…
Before Thanksgiving began, I used a bit of my free time for some New York moments. I took my first trip to Madison Square Garden, saw a Broadway show, and ate at one of New York’s top restaurants.. Hey, I’m going away for 5 months…I have to squeeze it all in!


The Rangers play the Bruins at Madison Square Garden.

I am lucky enough to have gone to a high school with an incredibly strong alumni network. Two or three times a year, all the New York area alumni get together at a downtown pub to catch up, network, and meet the new alumni in the area. The October social also included tickets to the night’s hockey game at Madison Square Garden between the Rangers and Bruins. Of course, the Boston boys in all the alums weren’t shy about who we supported! To be honest, I was more excited to go into MSG for the first time than for the actual game. The facility I’ve heard so much about didn’t disappoint, but I was a little disappointed in myself. I have chosen not to buy tickets to multiple shows at MSG, because I thought the venue was too big. But once you get there, you realize that there’s not a bad seat in the house. I’ve missed some opportunities, but now I know better! The game itself was a thriller, with the Bruins taking an early lead, and the Rangers catching up as the game headed to a conclusion. The entire arena exploded when the Rangers got an opportunity to score while two Bruins were out of the game on Power Plays. Sorry Rangers fans, better luck next time! They didn’t score, and the B’s won the night much to our delight. Great seats, great new friends, and a great game…

Kyle Dean Massey in "Next to Normal." credit
I’ve been saying I have to take more advantage of having Broadway right downtown for a while, so I jumped on my chance to see “Next to Normal” last week. Theater isn’t usually my thing, but it was such a phenomenal show! It won a Pulitzer Prize thanks to its groundbreaking subject matter, and the execution on stage was nearly flawless. The story was incredibly written, the cast was talented and dynamic, and the standing ovation at the end was more than deserved. I left the theater, and told my friend Casey I would be going back to see the show again when I got back from London. I was shocked when Casey told me the show was closing, and I would never get that chance. I guess it is all part of the business, but I was disappointed. If you’re going to be in New York, and want to see a Broadway show, I have no qualms about recommending “Next to Normal.” Catch it while you can.

Nobody can deny that New York has some of the best restaurants in the world. I was afforded the opportunity to dine at Charlie Palmer’s Aureole, consistently ranked among the best restaurants in the city. The 42nd street location is just a short walk from Grand Central, tucked away to the side of Times Square. My friend Jason and I ordered from the three-course menu, deliberately picking very different dishes, including pheasant, duck, ham, and ceviche (not all on one plate). Our meals were phenomenal. Each was a piece of art, and I hated eating it because it looked so darn pretty! I savored each course, not always even entirely sure what I was eating...but it didn’t matter. I will definitely be recommending Aureole to my family and grandparents (it doesn’t fall into most of my peer’s budgets, but I’ll tell them about it too). Just a picture of the desert takes me back, and makes my mouth water. And we got a brief glimpse of Pee Wee Herman out the window (his show plays in the theater next door), so it had to have been a successful night!
Aureloe's dark chocolate tort. Amazing.
I can’t believe I only have a few short weeks left to enjoy this amazing city (for now). I know I’ll be busy, but hopefully I can find time to do one or two more blog-worthy things before I leave!


No comments:

Post a Comment