Monday, August 30, 2010

Our Teenage (Music) Dream

Though classes haven't yet begun, I've traveling to and from Manhattan each of the last three days for what I find one of New York City’s biggest draws: concerts. As a music lover, there’s nothing like going to school in the city where literally every band stops as they tour the country. During my freshman year, my best friend (who attends another of New York City’s universities for undergraduate studies) and I created a pseudo-contest, to see who could find more fun, unique city experiences in our new hometown. Many of these outings ended up being concerts, including Kid Cudi, front row tickets to Vampire Weekend, Jonsi (the lead singer of indie super-band Sigur Ros), and an incredible front-row experience right here at Fordham thanks to MGMT last Spring Weekend. Our musical experiences continued into the summer, traveling to Lollapalooza with some Fordham friends.

Freshman year started off slowly for my contest, but my sophomore year has already begun with a bang. The night I moved back to beautiful Fordham, a friend and I went to the Scissor Sisters’ concert at Terminal 5.



We ended up right in the front row for one of the most incredible live shows I have been to. The band’s energy and enthusiasm was sky-high, as they entertained their hometown for the first time since releasing their new record. My friend Sarah and I watched in awe as the lead singers Ana Matronic and Jake Shears bounced around stage with unrelenting energy, singing their way through all the band’s hits, old and new. At points, true, intense eye contact was made with both Shears and Matronic, as they gazed into the crowd of enthusiastic watchers, right to me singing and dancing along (which I’m sure people around me deeply appreciated) in the front row. Below I’ve included a video I took from the front row on my phone (the quality gets better as they start singing). Their show ended with a blast of confetti, and my night was made when I caught bassist Del Marquis’ guitar pick, and got a set-list from the stage. We later learned that both Katy Perry and Adam Lambert were also at the show, giving our adventure a new sense of celebrity. Seeing the Scissor Sisters’ live crossed the seventh band off my ‘to see in concert before I die’ list. Only The Killers and Radiohead to go…



 
Twenty four hours after their show ended, I pulled my first all-nighter in my college career. I like my sleep…so to not enjoy my soft bed for 30 hours, it had to have been something important. That important occurrence was Katy Perry’s live performance on the TODAY Show. I got lucky and scored VIP tickets to the show, and went with three current students, and a 2009 graduate of Fordham. One friend and I arrived
to 38th street at a bouncing 1:45 AM to wait in line, even though we knew we would be close anyway. Our dedication paid off. We rocked out just to the right of Katy’s candy-covered stage, as the pop superstar crushed her hits, including this summer’s anthem “California Gurls,” newest chart-topper “Teenage Dream,” and a remix of her original hit “I Kissed a Girl.” After the show, thanks to a Fordham friend who worked as an intern on TODAY, we whisked past security, into one of NBC’s many buildings at Rockefeller Center. We chatted with Ann Curry as we waited for the elevator, and watched in awe from the back of the green room as producers studied literally thousands of monitors. Still in awe, we moved towards the reason we were here, as Katy Perry herself stood and took pictures with staff, family, and friends of the show. Finally, it was our turn. As we approached, my friend reminded me ‘not to throw up or pass out’ as I met my longtime crush. We posed for a picture, chatted for a minute or two about nail designs, twitter, and the Scissor Sisters’ show that we both attended earlier that week, three of her favorite things.




I’ve only been back a week, and already I’m overjoyed with the unique experiences of my city. And even better: my picture with Katy Perry promises I will never have to change my facebook default ever again!!



From left to right: Elena Rowell (FCRH '13), Kevin Danielczyk (FCRH '13), Katy Perry, Sarah Collins (FCRH '09), and Sammie Lazar (FCRH '13)

-Posted by Kevin Danielczyk, FCRH' 13

No comments:

Post a Comment