Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Beautiful, Beachy Bronx


Summer means swimming. As a southern girl who grew up spending her summer vacations on the banks of the James River and on the beaches of the east coast, the months of June-August necessitate some serious swimming time. Thus, when the prospect of a summer in the city became a reality thanks to the job that I landed on campus last spring, one unshakable worry grew in my mind--where on earth was I going to feed my salt-water and sand addiction?

Now, after a few weeks of wandering and hours of internet-scanning, I have discovered that the answer lies right here in the Bronx: Orchard Beach.


On Friday morning, two friends and I caught the BX12 on Fordham Road. The bus took about 20 minutes to cart a handful of kids with sand shovels and group of elderly women with floppy hats to a drop-off point at the far end of the beach. As we walked from the bus to the boardwalk I had flashbacks of the Jersey shore where my grandfather once lived. The stores that lined one edge of the sidewalk were selling all the stereotypical beach foods and the lifeguards who lounged on their high chairs blew their whistles at overly-audacious swimmers.


The sand was hot, the water was cold, and the breeze was refreshing. Despite it's unlikely location, I can assure you that Orchard Beach is a real, water-junkie approved beach that I'll be sure to frequent over the next few months of New York heat.

Yes, it's true, this city has everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment