Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Revival of the 80s!


Revival of the 80's is right! A friend and I went to CAB's (Campus Activities Board) Cultural Affairs Committee first ticket sale of the year. There are multiple ticket sales throughout the year (Elf is at the next one! I know, it is exciting), where the Cultural Affairs Committee's raffles off tickets to broadway and off-broadway shows. This first ticket sale had tickets to the Lion King, Bloody Blood Andrew Jackson, Awesome 80s Prom and La Cage aux Folles (I think you can guess which tickets I won). Our intention was to get four tickets for the Lion King, but unfortunately I am not a very lucky person. After the Lion King tickets were gone, my friend and I quickly deliberated and decided to try for the Awesome 80s prom. This is an off-broadway show that was interactive, meaning that we could dress up in 80s gear! We were able to get four tickets for the show and quite excited! We went shopping on Fordham Road and were able to find great, INEXPENSIVE outfits! My friend dressed as Madonna, whereas I went for the 80s traditional workout look (I think it's pretty easy to figure out which one I am).

Finally the day of the show came! We had been anxiously awaiting to go to this interactive 80s prom. The tickets were only $5 for the whole show and free access to Webster Hall afterward. We all hopped on the metro north, a commuter rail located just off-campus, then transfered to the 4 train. A short walk off the subway we arrived at Webster Hall. As soon as we walked in, we felt like we were in the 80s. Everyone was dressed in their 80s prom dresses! I knew the show was interactive, but I didn't realize how much. There was a photo setup in front of the "high
school" banner. They had nominations for prom king and queen, which was quite hysterical and played up typical high school stereotypes. There were dance-offs, which two of my friends participated in (some unwillingly). It was a really fun experience. I personally loved my prom, so reliving one in the 80s was a blast. At the end of the show, they continued the 80s music until the club opened. It was so much fun with a ton of dancing and interaction with the cast! Moral of the story, go to CAB's raffles and even if you don't get the show you want, try out another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment