Monday, November 1, 2010

Matt & Kim Do Their Favorite Thing

Matt & Kim have something in common with Oprah: a list of favorite things. And I like Matt & Kim's better. The power-duo rocked Webster Hall on Tuesday and Wednesday (October 27th) harder than I've ever seen a pair rock before. They started the show by sharing with the crowd their favorite things:


Number 1: Playing shows.
Number 2: Eating burritos.
Number 3: Watching "Modern Family."
Number 4: New York City.

Towards the end of the show, lead singer Matt Johnson changed his mind, and added another thing above all others...

Number 0: Playing shows in New York City (and boy could you tell)!

I saw Matt & Kim live this summer at Lollapalooza as an afterthought. My friends and I walked past their stage as they were midway through my favorite song of theirs, "Good Ol' Fashioned Nightmare," and I made them stay before we headed to see another band. We weren't close at all, but even at the back of the crowd we all had one word to say about their set: ENERGY! We had never seen energy like theirs onstage, and it literally seeped into the crowd. They became one of my top three acts of Lollapalooza, and I vowed I wouldn't miss them when they came to NYC. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait long.

One of the best things about New York is that so many bands originate here, and so when they play shows in the city, they usually pull out all the stops. Matt & Kim's Brooklyn roots proved this true. My friend and I got to Webster Hall about 40 minutes early, later than I had wanted. He had not been at Lollapalooza with me, and didn't understand what I meant when I went on and on about the band's energy. I was upset we wouldn't be in the front row, but knew I'd still be closer than before. When the doors opened, I didn't hesitate, and ran for the front. Let's just say, I still have a bruise on my lower chest from being knocked against the barrier between the floor and the stage. Welcome to front row, center...
I have to give credit where credit is due: their second opening act was amazing. Rapper Donnis got the crowed pumped up, and even though I had never heard of him, I found myself jumping around and fully engrossed in the show, forgetting this wasn't the concert I had paid (a measly 20 bucks I might add) to see. Then he snapped me out of it: "Y'all ready to see the King and Queen, Matt & Kim!?!?" he asked...

There's a reason this concert will go down as one of the top five I have ever been to, and energy is only half of it; I have never seen a girl smile as much, and for as long, as Kim. When Matt listed playing shows as his absolute favorite thing (I mean come on, it was above burritos), some might have called it hyperbole...until they started playing. Anyone else at this show, or I'd bet any other show they've played will deny this. They LOVE being on stage.
They jumped on their instruments. Matt climbed the scaffolding. Kim "booty danced" in the crowd (RIGHT above my head, I might add). Matt tried to booty dance, and ended up just falling. Oh...and they played 24 songs straight. That might not sound impressive, but you have to realize this is a two-person band: drums, vocals, and a keyboard. My arms are getting tired just typing here...imagine how Kim must feel after banging some drums for that long.

I have about twenty pictures of the show, and the one here is the clearest. It's still pretty blurry, but you try to keep a band with this must energy still long enough to pose for a picture...this'll have to do. They played (they both played their songs and played on stage...at times it really seemed like they were just two kids on a playground) their way through old hits ("Good Ol' Fashioned Nightmare," "Yea Yeah," "Lessons Learned," etc.), shared some new ones off their upcoming album "Sidewalks," and lived it up while they could. Their second night at Webster Hall, they said they had had dreams that when they finished playing, the venue had crumbled from the energy. It didn't happen, but it wasn't because the band or the crowd didn't try.

They ended with their epic "Daylight," which I dare you to get out of your head. As they struck a final chord, the speakers erupted with Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind," and they stood together on stage. But not for long...as they quickly jumped down into the crowd for hugs and congratulations. In fact, Matt fell right on to me, and I'd be lying if I said I let go readily. I hugged him for probably 10 seconds until someone pulled him away. They managed to escape the venue from the back door, after hugging probably every fan there. Chants of "MATT AND KIM" ensued, and Matt was forced to come back on stage, and close the show with a short, heartfelt, breathless statement:


"We love you guys more than you know, but we played literally everything we could. I don't know anymore music...we love you. Thank you so so much."

Did I mention I also got a set list? And a drumstick? Well, 7/8 of a drumstick. Kim broke it about a third of the way into the show, but just kept playing...I guess almost a whole drumstick will do. My wall now has four setlists from this year alone.

We loved them too. Enjoy "Yea Yeah" below, recorded from my phone. If you follow the video to my YouTube page, there are five other videos from the show, including Kim's bootydance, Matt falling when he later tried the same thing, and a few other songs. Talk about a show.


P.S.: You readers are so lucky... I had an INCREDIBLY cool last three days, that will continue tomorrow night. So you get another blog on Wednesday from me, and (shock/ spoiler alert): there's no concerts involved.

I'll give you a hint: working as a news reporter in New York City during an election year gets you some pretty amazing opportunities. And Diane Sawyer, George Stephanopolous, and Cokie Roberts say hi...

No comments:

Post a Comment